Thursday, May 1, 2014

Owen Lee

Considering Owen is six weeks old, this post is way past due, but things have been busy. I'm tired. And better late than never, right? Buckle up, this is a long one.

Owen Lee Trulock
March 17, 2014
9:23 a.m.
7 pounds 12 ounces
21 inches long
No, we did not name him Patrick. Got a lot of jokes about that in the hospital.
We chose the name Owen Lee after his grandfathers. My dad's middle name is Owen and Sam's dad's name is Lee. Owen was actually due on my dad's birthday, but he stayed late. We've liked the name Owen for a while. After Emmitt was born, we said that if we ever had another boy that we would probably name him Owen. I never really thought I'd have another boy! Not with the track record for having boys in our families.

Here's what happened...
As previously mentioned, Owen was due on Sunday, the 16th. Sam was out of town until late on the 12th. I was so stressed out that Owen was going to come early, but thankfully, he waited. I had a checkup on Tuesday, the 11th, and I was dilated just barely over one. I didn't feel much going on over the next couple of days. On Saturday we cleaned out the garage, did some organizing in the house, and went walking at the mall hoping to move things along.

I didn't sleep much on Saturday night because I was so crampy and uncomfortable. By 5 Sunday morning I wasn't really sleeping anymore. At 6:30 things were hurting enough that I thought I better get up and get showered. Each pregnancy I have something that kind of consumes me before giving birth. With Mila it was having the house completely disinfected. I was up until 3 in the morning before she was born scrubbing every inch of the bathroom. With Emmitt it was having my toenails perfectly painted. This time it was having my hair washed. So I got my hair washed, got my makeup on, and got my bag packed. I expected to have a baby by early Sunday evening.

By the time I was all ready to go, contractions had pretty much stopped. The rest of the day they came and went at very irregular intervals and pain levels. I thought I would have another quickly progressing labor like I had with Emmitt, but things were moving so slowly. There were times contractions were strong and close together and then for hours they would be weak and far apart. I was so frustrated. Sam and I went on a long walk in the freezing weather, and I was even running up the stairs as fast as I could every time I had to go to the bathroom. Still pokey progress.

Daytime came and went. Evening came and went. Contractions were happening more often, but it still wasn't time to call the doctor yet. We put the kids to bed and settled in to watch the Downton Abbey season finale to distract me. Before we could finish it, it was time to call the doctor. Contractions were irregular, but they were still close and I was afraid to wait any longer. I called about 10:20 p.m. and we headed to the hospital.

By the time we got there things were feeling harder and I was quite uncomfortable. They checked me and I was dilated to 4 so they admitted me. I would have freaked out if they hadn't!

I wanted to do a natural birth again, but was not totally against an epidural depending on how labor progressed. Truth be told, I am so scared of getting it put in that that's one of the main reasons I don't like them. But I tested positive for group B strep so I needed the antibiotic treatment, so once I was hooked up to everything, I couldn't get comfortable enough to deal with the horrible back labor I was having. After a few hours of trying to make it work, I was too tired from not sleeping much the night before and laboring all day, I was in a lot of pain, and I was nowhere near delivery. After all that time I was still only at 5. I got an epidural about 1 or 2 in the morning. Getting it put in was just as uncomfortable and terrifying as I remember, but the relief was wonderful! More importantly, I could get some rest. 

Owen was taking his sweet old time descending and his head was not properly engaged for birth. I had two different doctors say that if things didn't change that they might need to do a C-section so the cord wouldn't rush out first when my water broke or something like that. So I worried about that all night, but it ended up being fine. Finally, at about 8:40 my water broke. I thought things would take off after that, but almost an hour went by before it was time to push. Contractions weren't terribly strong or consistent, but the doctor decided it was time to start pushing. Even to the very end, he took his time. There were some really long breaks between contractions during pushing, and it was really awkward sitting on full display with no action happening. I pushed really hard for 16 minutes and finally, at 9:23, a new little soul entered my life.

Look at all of that dark hair! He has more hair than either Mila or Emmitt had.
 
I believe the look on my face here...
 ...is in reaction to this...
I can't stop kissing him! Newborns smell ridiculously good.
 
They love to hold the baby!
Poor Mila and her grubby fingernails. Apparently that's one thing that fell through the cracks while I was worrying about my hair being clean.
 I tried so hard to get a picture of him right before going home, but he was moving his arms around like crazy. This is one of the better shots.
 I can't get over his hair!
 He gave himself a nasty scratch by the eye.
 I laugh every time I see this picture! He looks so grumpy about being in his seat! And the puffy newborn eyes and scratch by his eye make him look like he was in a fight or something. The funny thing is that he hates being in his seat more than anything and screams pretty much the whole time he's in it. It was a hate relationship from the start.
Welcome to the world, Owen!

2 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for this post and I've honestly only been checking my blog just to see this post! He is so handsome! It's about time one of your babies has dark hair! or do they all have dark hair and then it falls out and comes back blonde? Eva just did that shananigans. Congratulations you are all so beautiful! So happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable! I am in love with his hair. Nate and I can't believe your other kids have blonde hair. :) I hope you start getting sleep soon. We are on our way out of Ann Arbor. We are moving to Germany this summer. We will have to get together with you guys when we move back to the states in 2 years! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete