Friday, August 10, 2012

Birthdays

Monday, August 6th, was my 28th birthday. I can't believe that I'm that old! Anyway, it was a really unexciting day as far as birthdays go. When I was growing up my family always made birthdays a pretty big deal. Mom would make sure we had our favorite cereal for breakfast. That  might not seem exciting to most kids, but we usually didn't have the fun cereal, so it was exciting. The birthday girl also did not have to do any chores, and in the evening when Dad was home we would have the birthday dinner, also of the birthday girl's choosing, and cake, ice cream, and presents. My choice of cake was almost always spumoni cake. It's kind of a pain to make, but Mom would always do it if it was requested. I'll have to explain more about that delicious cake another time.
I was feeling a little down on my birthday this year. We got home about 11pm on Sunday night after a 10 hr drive from Virginia Beach. I was so sad that our vacation was over! Then I got to spend my birthday doing mommy things like laundry, cleaning the kids' car seats that were full of sand and food (and Emmitt's also had puke and poop in it), and vacuuming all the sand out of the car. I'm always a little sad, too, when Sam has to go back to work after getting to spend extra time with him. My little sister, Tori, saved the day and came and watched the kids so Sam could take me to dinner. I had a store-bought ice cream cake. It was no spumoni cake, but it sufficed. On Tuesday we had dinner at my parent's with a family from the ward and my mom got me this amazing chocolate mousse cake from a restaurant I love that we rarely go to because it's kind of far away and a bit pricey. It was a total surprise and completely made up for the unpleasantness of my real birthday. Mom always comes through!
Making a birthday wish.
 My sister Kelly's birthday is August 10th, and my mom's is August 16th so it's a big couple of weeks for birthdays in our family. The kids and I sang Happy Birthday to Kelly today over the phone on her lunch break, and then I talked to her for a few minutes more. While I was talking, I thought I heard Emmitt in the bathroom. Never good.
These are the feet
and this is the face of a very mischievous boy. 
He got one of Mila's markers and colored the bottoms of his feet, his arms, and the toilet lid. Then he tried to put on my mascara. He actually did get some on his eyelashes! It was too funny for me to be mad at him. The fact that it wasn't waterproof helped, too!

I still need to blog about our Virginia Beach vacation. It was so wonderful! I took 250 pictures! I think I will have to share it in multiple posts. Stay tuned...  

No comments:

Post a Comment