Thursday, August 16, 2012

Virginia Beach, The Finale

Our last morning in Virginia, we woke up to the kids sleeping like this. 

We got dressed, had breakfast, checked out of the hotel, and headed to Williamsburg and Jamestown. On the way there, Cheryl looked up more about Williamsburg and found that it was $40 per person! We did not go to that either. On to Jamestown we went. The actual spot where they landed is an active archaeological dig site so there isn't much there but the chapel the settlers built and a statue. We didn't want to spend money to see barely anything with bored children, but about a mile away they have a really nice museum, a replica Native American village and settler's fort, and replica ships. We could have spent a couple of hours in the museum alone! It was so nice with a lot of interesting information, but the kids didn't think things were quite as interesting, so we took the abbreviated tour. The other parts the kids really enjoyed because they had a lot of things for them to touch and try out. It was definitely worth the time and money spent.



Mila with the digging stick working in the garden. The girl said that boys Emmitt's age would basically be used as scarecrows, so their moms didn't mind if they were loud and running around. I knew we should have planted a big garden out back. Emmitt needs to start pulling his weight in this family :)

This woman was actually working on a real deer hide. This would be such an interesting job!

Grinding corn meal.

Emmitt and Lincoln sitting in one of the huts.

Our little family in front of the Susan Constant replica. It was the largest of the three ships that set sail from England. We were able to get on and tour the boat. I can't imagine spending 4 or 5 months on one of these ships!


The cutest cargo.

I was so excited when I saw this log boat! I can't explain how much I wanted to be Pocahontas  when I was a child. I remember being almost depressed about the fact that there was no way that I could ever be her. I've always had the desire to have long, straight, black hair which originated during this period of my life. I was pathetic. You better believe my little heart was singing Just Around the Riverbend

Outside the fort.

It was terribly hot and humid. By the time we got to the fort, the kids had pretty much had it.

Trying on the armor. After she put on the helmet, Mila said she wanted to try on the "sweater," too.


We got the kids these little wooden swords at the gift shop. Emmitt kept poking Sam in the back of the neck with it on the way home.

Not our wisest purchase. We've had lots of sword fights at our house.They took turns crying during this sword fight because fingers kept getting hit.
We had quite the rocky start to the trip, including a flat on a brand new set of tires put on the day before, and me forgetting my swimsuit, which we had to go back and get along with a few other things we forgot. Things quickly turned around. Being there was incredible and really made me miss living there. Virginia is such a beautiful place, and it was so wonderful to see friends from our old VA days. The only disappointments were not getting to see Monticello and Williamsburg. I can't believe how expensive they were! When we got home and I told my dad about the cost of those sites, he went on a rant about writing the congressman about how the American youth are missing out on learning about and experiencing their heritage because it's too expensive.  I love my dad :) I hope we can go back next year!

2 comments:

  1. I almost didn't have a swimsuit either. I had to order a maternity one, but I guess I ordered it too late and it was going to get there later in the day that we left. I called the post office and begged them to let me pick it up that morning instead, b/c I knew they had it. They let me, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was so fun! I love Mila's hair! She will probably want long straight black hair too someday haha, but it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete