Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Long Week

We've had an interesting week indeed. I went to the children's Dr.'s appointments Tuesday, and everything was fine. I was relieved that Emmitt's ears were clear considering he had a fever Sunday and Monday. Emmitt is 50% for weight and 75% for height. He's taller than I thought he was. It's annoying because the pants/shorts that fit his height are always huge around the waist. Mila is 50% for height and 75% for weight. No surprise there. She's always been a very dense child :) 

Mila's throat was hurting really bad the next day and was covered in sores (they were not there the day before when we were at the Dr's), and we went back to the Dr's. SUPER long story short, both children had Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth is an odd illness. The only real complication is dehydration if a child's throat hurts so bad that they don't want to swallow. If Mila wouldn't have complained about her throat hurting, I would have never known they had it since they only got a few, almost unnoticeable, bumps on their fingers (rash on hands and feet is another symptom). I definitely wouldn't have known Em had it since he never complained. It is highly contagious though, so we quarantined ourselves for a few days. I decided that during this time of not going anywhere, I would potty train Emmitt. We used the 3 Day Potty Training method. He's doing pretty well. Not 100% all the time, but good for a starter. I hit up Pinterest for a few ideas and used some of my own to keep us busy. 
The kids enjoyed getting plenty of popsicles to help ward off dehydration.

We made bath paint from here
Mila's masterpiece
 After we made the bath paint with shaving cream, Mila wanted to shave like Daddy. We used the popsicle sticks from above to "shave." Mila was really good at it! They wanted to shave over and over. Emmitt put the popsicle stick covered in shaving cream in his mouth a couple of times. Must have not tasted bad enough to keep him from doing it.



We colored a bunch of fish, cut them out, made some fishing poles, and went fishing in the living room.



Emmitt hauling his catch. P.S. I covered the floor with dollar store shower curtains for the first two days until he had things down. I was certainly glad they were there the first day when he was peeing everywhere!

During Emmitt's nap on day 2, Mila and I made some homemade laundry detergent. Another Pinterest find. I based mine off of this and this. I figured it would be a good time to test it out since we had lots of pee pee clothes. So far, so good! All the recipes say to only use a tablespoon or two. I think it works better using 2-3. Maybe my washer is just bigger or something. It pretty much doesn't have a fragrance once the clothes are washed, but things smell clean and fresh.

Later I was listening to Mila while she was playing with the rocking horse. In this high-pitched voice she uses when she's playing, she had this conversation doing both voices:
HORSE: I'm so sad because no one thinks that I'm a girl.
MILA: Oh, you poor horse! Let me help you.
HORSE: Thank you so much! Now I look like a girl.

Getting him to go #2 was way easier than I thought it was going to be. He didn't get it at all the first day, but since then, we've had no problems. The first time he went #2 in the potty, we had a poo poo party. I had some confetti poppers ready for this moment and let the kids have fun. Supervised, of course ;)


I straightened Mila's hair! She loved it so much!


Super long post for a super long week!

3 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! Looks like you're doing great with the potty training. I'm terrified to even start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're awesome!!! I need to be more like that! Keep it up cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mila has to be one of the funniest kids I know, er, read about. And congrats on starting potty training. I think potty training is more exhausting than having a newborn.

    ReplyDelete