Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mila's 3rd Birthday! (Part 1)

My cute little 3 year old! She was so excited that I was having a really hard time getting her to just smile a little without scrunching her whole face up.

About a week ago Mila told me she wanted a "Princess Castle Cake" for her birthday, so I tried to deliver. I looked at a bunch of different cakes online and everyone used fondant as a cover to get smoother results, but I didn't have the time or patience for extra steps so I just used regular old icing. This is the first time I've ever made any sort of specialty cake, so I was quite pleased with the results especially since I made it the day of the party.

Mila excited about her cake and presents.

The party consisted of her cousins, of which only two are above age 3, so playing games with any sort of rules was pretty much out of the question so we had to get a little creative with activities. We did this fun painting activity that I got from Mel Whitacre. You put paper in the bottom of a box, put some drops of paint around the edges, toss in a few marbles, and roll them around to make a cool design. The kids loved it! They liked picking out their paint colors, and it was also cool to put different colors of construction paper in. Thanks for the awesome idea Mel!

One of Mila's creations.

They played a number of exciting rounds of Ring Around the Rosy. Can't beat the classics, I guess :)

This game cracked me up the most because it's not even really a game! I didn't even plan it, it just sort of happened, and it was the biggest hit. All I did was blow up some balloons, yelled, "One, two, three, GO," and they would throw a bunch of balloons in the air while I took a picture. That was it. But they LOVED it! We played this "game" for the better part of fifteen minutes.   

Oh the joy! To be a kid again.

You know you're at a kid's birthday party when the dinner is macaroni and cheese and hot dogs. Don't worry, we also had carrots and cauliflower :)

Cake time.

Blowing out the candles. I wish we had a better angle, but this will do.

How quickly all that work was destroyed :(

Mila learned an important lesson at her party. If you want a lot of gifts, invite Aunt Erin. Erin and her kids gave Mila at least 10 gifts. She had a blast opening her presents though, as most kids do. This was one of her favorites since one of Mila's current obsessions is ponies.

Mila also got a My Little Pony house, which she promptly filled with ponies, and it has hardly left her sight since. The kids spent the rest of the night playing. Mila had an amazing birthday party! I love how Caylee just suddenly doesn't have a shirt on in this picture! Reminds me of when her mom was her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment